Who needs a VA 21-526 Form?
A VA 21-526 claimants can be military employees, who:
- at present have a disability caused by an injury, disease or event in military service, or
- are 65 or older, are permanently and totally disabled and served on active duty with at least one day during a war period, have a limited income and net worth
What is the VA 21-526 Form for?
The form VA 21-526 is the Veteran Affairs Application for Compensation or Pension, which is used by the military to claim compensation for an injury resulting in disability or, a pension explained by achieving the pension age and having a disability.
Is the VA 21-526 Form accompanied by other forms?
If a claimant has any documents that can serve as evidence of what is stated in the VA 21-526 form, they should be attached, for instance, current medical records. If any medical treatment was given to the claimant (by a private physician or military health care facility), it is necessary to submit Form VA 21-4142, also known as the Authorization and Consent to Release Information to the Department of Veteran Affairs. The claimant should also include an original or a certified copy of their discharge papers (form DD 214).
When is VA 21-526 Form due?
There isn’t a strict deadline for submitting the form, however, when doing so, the claimant should be aware that it might take VBA 125 days to consider the claim.
How do I fill out VA 21-526 Form?
The form should be completed fully and comprehensively. Therefore, the following information is required:
- specification of the type of compensation,
- claimant’s primary identification information
- details on past disabilities and applications for compensations (if any)
- claimant’s service information
- reserve and guard service information
- marital and dependency status
- details about non-service related pension
- income information
- medical & legal expenses
- direct deposit
- certification, authorization, and signature
Where do I send VA 21-526 Form?
The completed form VA 21-526 and supporting materials must be submitted to the closest VA regional office.